Skip to content
Materials for physical conditioning class
- Free weights
- Exercise mats
- Hand Grips
- Balance equipment
Week One (second week of class)
- Provide students with an overview of the physical requirement of the trades, having them take turns lifting and carrying building materials such as block.
- Using results from the fitness evaluation conducted at assessment, assist participants in developing long and short term fitness goals.
- Introduce students to exercises focusing on cardio-respiratory fitness, including stairs and step aerobics
- Continue cardio work-outs
- Introduce strength training exercises – demonstrating proper use of exertubes and lifting technique.
- Combine aerobics and strength training
- Continue mix of cardio and strength training exercises.
- Focus on nutrition, including reading labels and managing weight.
- Focus on flexibility, including pilates and yoga stretches.
- Continue cardio and strength trainer work-outs.
- Focus on positive motivation, priorities and body image – I.A.M. – It’s about me
- Continue cardio, strength and flexibility exercises.
- Continue cardio, strength and flexibility exercises
- Mid-term evaluation
Week Eight (transition to workshop)
- Introduce physical fitness assessment requirements for selected trades.
- Have students attempt to lift required weights (in milk crates) and measure hand strength in terms of pounds of pressure.
- Incorporate hand grips into cardio, strength and flexibility work-outs.
- Introduce balance exercise – have students walk a square frame – 2’ to 4’ off the ground. Have students act as spotters for their classmates.
- Incorporate into regular work-outs.
Week Ten through Twelve
- Continue mix of cardio, strength, flexibility and balance exercise with focus on increasing weights and number of repetitions.
- Administer fitness assessment to gauge progress.
- Assist students in evaluating their success in meeting short term goals.
- Focus on maintaining a healthy lifestyle after class.