Women continue to make up less than 3% of the construction workforce and, as they typically receive far less relevant vocational training and have had fewer opportunities to build transferable skills, pre-apprenticeship training is a critically important bridge for women seeking construction careers. This section is intended to both support organizations in developing pre-apprenticeship training programs for women and assist existing co-ed pre-apprenticeship programs in increasing the numbers of women they successfully train and place in the industry. The menu is divided by subject matter and includes all the tools you need to successfully recruit, assess, train and support women in your program. For additional assistance, please contact us at: info@MTAC2.org.
Outreach and Career Education
- Guides you through effective outreach strategies and provides the tools you need to educate women about construction career opportunities.
- Provides a complete assessment toolkit specifically tailored to the needs of the construction industry.
- Provides complete pre-apprenticeship curriculum developed for CWIT’s Technical Opportunities Program, as well as the gender lens curriculum designed by Wider Opportunities for Women as a complement to the Building and Construction Trades Department’s Multi-Craft Core curriculum.
- Provides guidance and tools for providing women with the additional support they need as they prepare for and launch careers in a male dominated industry.
Job Placement and Retention
- Focuses on strategies for connecting women to apprenticeship and employment opportunities and supporting their retention in the industry.